Become A Certified Cadaver Dog Trainer
With their keen sense of smell, tracking and locating abilities, dogs are uniquely suited to helping police in crime scene investigations, missing person cases and forensics. Dog Trainer College’s cadaver dog trainer course shows students how to train dogs in locating human remains in all types of situations and during investigations of all types. The course stems from a balanced training perspective.
Watch the online videos to learn more about our dog training courses. Apply online and sign up today to become a cadaver dog trainer. This course is available only in the Spring and Summer semesters. It is included in the Master Trainer course.
Both financial aid and/or lodging is available, if needed. You are welcome to bring your own dog/s with you in the course. With our competitive financing options, you can be a part of this amazing course for only $110/month*. Sorry, we do not accept VA education or Voc Rehab benefits.
*Rates and terms will vary according to individual credit score, co-signer (if any), and amount of down payment.
This in-person class begins on April 8 and August 12, 2024.
This course meets M-F from 9am to approximately 4pm
(Depending upon class size, weather, number of dogs to train, etc).
Classes held at our facility near Spencer, IN
This course is also offered in an online format. Click here for more details.
What You Will Learn
- Select solid candidates for HRD dog prospects
- Enhance the dog’s drives
- Conduct practical agility
- Be able to train dogs in both basic and advanced obedience
- Recognizing and teaching the canine’s alert
- Understand the use of various training aids
- Utilize training aids effectively, properly, safely, and without contamination
- Grasp the canine olfactory system
- Comprehend how environment will affect the search
- Learn about Osphresiology and how it affects the search
- Grasp basic human decomposition
- Comprehend case law that affects canine searches
- Utilize various detection training methods
- Understand how to dependably proof a dog
- Recognize health issues of the canine and be able to administer emergency first aid
- Develop a thorough search pattern
- Diagnose training problems and formulate a plan to overcome them
- Be able to conduct both land and water searches
- Training Aids
- Scent Articles
- Proper Handling of Training Aids
- Confidence Development
- Scent Cones and Pools
- Varied Terrain & Conditions
- On and Off Leash
- Directions at a Distance
- Basic Human Decomposition
- Search Methods
- Teaching the Alert
- Problem Solving
- Land Cadaver Dogs
- Water Cadaver Dogs
- Canine First Aid
- Cadaver Case Law
- Maintaining Cadaver Dogs