Scent Detection Dog Trainer Certification
Scent detection is an invaluable skill developed in dogs that allows them to show owners and handlers the location of illegal substances, bodies, missing persons and explosives. Using the dog’s keen sense of smell, they can be trained to locate items in nearly any environment and from a distance. Through the scent detection dog trainer course at Dog Trainer College, students will gain dog training certification and will learn the skills and proven techniques necessary to train scent detection dogs. The course is taught from a balanced training approach.
Apply online and sign up for the scent detection dog trainer course today. The course is four weeks in length and is available only in the Spring and Summer semesters. However it is included in the K9 Instructor and Master Trainer courses.
Both financial aid and/or lodging is available, if needed. With our competitive financing options, you can take this awesome course for as little as $93/month.* Sorry, we do not accept VA education or voc rehab benefits. You are permitted to bring your own dog/s with you during the course.
*Rates and terms will vary according to individual credit score, co-signer (if any), and amount of down payment.
This in-person class begins on April 8 and August 12, 2024.
Custom start dates are available for groups.
This program meets M-F from 9am to approximately 4pm
(Depending upon class size, weather, number of dogs to train, etc.)
Classes are held on-site at our facility near Spencer, IN.
Groups of 5 or more qualify for a group discount.
What You Will Learn
- Select solid candidates for detection dog prospects
- Recognize inferior qualities that would hinder reliable detection work
- Recognize health issues of the canine and be able to administer emergency first aid
- Understand how environment will affect the search
- Recognizing and teaching the canine’s alert
- Diagnose training problems and formulate a plan to overcome them
- Understand how to dependably proof a dog
- Understand how to train the detection dog from start to finish
- Be able to train dogs in both basic and advanced obedience
- Enhance the dog’s drives
- Utilize training aids effectively, properly, safely, and without contamination
- Grasp the canine olfactory system
- Handle the dog in way that will encourage effectiveness yet without hindering his work
- Imprint a dog on the target odor
- Utilize various detection training methods
- Learn about Osphresiology and how it affects the search
- Diagnose the right method to use with each individual dog
- Employ effective search methods and technique
- Be able to conduct various kinds of searches
- Basic and Advanced, On/Off Leash
- Proper Use of Remote Collar
- Proper Use of Prong Collar
- Puppy development
- Prey Drive
- Hunting Ability
- Detection training aids
- Handling of training aids.
- Canine Olfactory system
- Scent Cone
- Imprinting Target Odor
- Simple Direct Association
- Deferred Response
- Other Detection Training Methods
- Search Methods
- Vehicle Searches
- Building Searches
- Teaching the Alert
- Problem Solving
- Handler operations
- Canine First Aid
- Case Law