This four-week course is $3800. 160 hours.
Scent detection is an invaluable skill developed in dogs that allows them to show owners and handlers the location of illegal substances, bodies, missing persons and even explosives. Using the dog’s keen sense of smell, they can be trained to locate items in nearly any environment, across vast distances. Through the scent detection dog trainer course at Dog Trainer College, students will gain dog training certification and will learn the skills and techniques necessary to train scent detection dogs.
This course teaches trainers proper handling skills, scent imprinting, detection prospects, first aid, proofing, problem solving, case law and others skills necessary in locating items and working with the canine. Students will learn to conduct many of the searches most commonly required, such as vehicle searches and building searches. Each trainer will not only learn how to develop these skills in the canine, but also how scent detection works and how best to use it. The methods utilized in this course will enable to student not only to train narcotics and/or explosive detection dogs but also bed bug detection, cancer detection, antler shed detection, and nearly any kind of detection desired by a canine.
Learn how to train a scent detection dog from puppy to adult. Apply online and sign up for the scent detection dog trainer course today. Both financial aid and/or lodging is available, if needed. With our competitive financing options, you can take this awesome course for as little as $93/month.* The Scent Detection course is eligible to be covered by GI Bill education benefits for US veterans.
The course is four weeks in length and is available only in the Spring and Summer semesters. This class begins on April 15 and August 12, 2019. Custom start dates are available for groups. Groups of 5 or more qualify for a group discount. It is in session Monday – Friday from 9am – 5pm. This entire course is included in our K9 Instructor course and Master Trainer course.
What will this course enable me to do?
- Select solid candidates for detection dog prospects
- Understand how to train the detection dog from start to finish
- Be able to train dogs in both basic and advanced obedience
- Enhance the dog’s drives
- Understand the use of various training aids
- Comprehend case law that affects canine searches
- Recognize inferior qualities that would hinder reliable detection work
- Utilize training aids effectively, properly, safely, and without contamination
- Grasp the canine olfactory system
- Handle the dog in way that will encourage effectiveness yet without hindering his work
- Imprint a dog on the target odor
- Utilize various detection training methods
- Learn about Osphresiology and how it affects the search
- Diagnose the right method to use with each individual dog
- Employ effective search methods and technique
- Be able to conduct various kinds of searches
- Recognizing and teaching the canine’s alert
- Diagnose training problems and formulate a plan to overcome them
- Understand how to dependably proof a dog
- Recognize health issues of the canine and be able to administer emergency first aid
- Understand how environment will affect the search
Scent Detection Course Outline
- Selection of Detection Dogs
- Basic and Advanced, On/Off Leash
- Proper Use of Remote Collar
- Proper Use of Prong Collar
- Drive Development
- Puppy development
- Prey Drive
- Hunting Ability
- Training Equipment
- Detection training aids
- Handling of training aids
- Scent Theory
- Canine Olfactory system
- Scent Cone
- Training the Search
- Imprinting Target Odor
- Simple Direct Association
- Deferred Response
- Other Detection Training Methods
- Search Methods
- Vehicle Searches
- Building Searches
- Teaching the Alert
- Problem Solving
- Other Instructions
- Handler operations
- Canine First Aid
- Case Law
- Final Exam and Certification
*Rates and terms will vary according to individual credit score, co-signer (if any), and amount of down payment.